Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Help Me, Help You

The only thing that I can remember about elementary Science class is the textbook!  First of all, it scared the heck out of me because it's monstrous size.  Up until that point in elementary our textbooks had been much smaller and therefore less intimidating.  I don't remember being introduced to the textbook or how to use it, so needless to say reading it was quite boring and confusing.  As a teacher I know I will have to use a Science textbook eventually in the future and maybe this research topic will grow in to using science textbooks effectively, but for now I'm interested in finding good supplementary materials for the Science classroom.

My initial thoughts were to research educational science websites that were fun for kids, but still provided them with information to learn and connect to textbook topics.  Also, I wanted these websites to be helpful for the teacher.  These sites provide Science articles that could be used to introduce or enhance a topic, activities, and a type of connection component.  More specifically, what are other Science classrooms doing, how can my students connect or share a Science learning experience with them?  I have found two websites to kick of my research.  The first is more kid user friendly and the second is very useful for teachers.  Let me know what you think!

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org

There a lot of fun things kids can do at this website, but my favorite element is the short science articles.  If you look down the left had side of the home page, there is a list of Article Archive topics.  These would be a great supplement to textbook curriculum for 4th grade and above.  The images are a plus and so is the option to comment about the articles. 

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

This website is more than just fun.  It shows that Science is exciting and that it is more than lab work and test tubes.  There are a lot of options, which may be too much for kids, but offers a lot for us teachers.  So, this is what I suggest.  At the top look for the Animals and Science tabs.  The Animals tab has great videos, pictures, and would be useful during any type of animal unit.  My two favorite parts of this tab are the Wild Animal videos and the Animal Fact page.  The Science tab offers interviews from scientists around the world, so students can see that science is all over.  I also enjoyed the Forces Of Nature videos and information.   

While researching for this first blog, I already came across another site that I'm excited to share.  I need to do some more digging before I suggest to use and how to use it in your classroom.  Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Love your first website because I think it is a wonderful place that students can find credible information that is relevant and up to date! I had mentioned daily or weekly scientists in my first blog - I think your first website and my scientist idea could fit really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're off to a great start! I too remember the intimidating science textbooks. My worst fear was the Chemistry one. I have a feeling that not before long textbooks in general will be dissapearing. I've already read that a school uses the Kindle in place of multiple large textbooks! E-books on devices like the Kindle or Laptops soon will be common place. No mater a paper version or electronic vesion, I'm still afraid of the chem book ;)


    Information on websites that you provided will start providing more and more indepth and worthwhile material. I think students will like the animations, clipart, and other multimedia resources available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your first website as well!! A lot of valuable information on it. I also agree that textbooks aren't the best resource- they are intimidating, often out-of-date, and not very kid-friendly. Websites are a great resource.
    However, I do have a few concerns about websites, Some schools don't have enough computers for a class to each have a computer. Websites also tend to have a lot of pop-ups that are distracting or misleading.
    In addition to these, websites are risky for homework. I would never assign a website assignment as homework- we don't know which kids have access to the internet and it is not fair to them. I am not even sure as far as extra credit- it just gives the disadvantaged kids another disadvantage. Keep the technology projects in the classroom.
    Tradebooks, classroom pen pals, and a culture shock are all great way to incorpoate social studies into the classroom as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these website resources could be very valuable to teach students about science. In particular, I liked the article archive section on the first website. These articles provide relevant information that relates to many science topics in a less intimidating way that most science textbooks. In terms of dealing with the issue of limited or lack of internet access in the classrooms and at some homes, perhaps the teacher could print out a particular story or stories for students to read about a topic of study in the classroom. That way students can still access the information without the barrier of the internet.

    ReplyDelete