Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Science for ELLs

I chose to focus on ELLs in the classroom. I am an ESL minor so I thought this would be appropriate to focus on. I also know there is a lot of difficult vocabulary associated with science, so I wanted to see how teachers work that into ELLs lessons. On the other hand, science is a very visual subject (a lot of diagram, experiements, charts/graphs, pictures) so that can help ELLs tremendously.

Some strategies to use with ELLs (and even other struggling students) include:
  • make outlines of the lectures/materials
  • differentiate lesson presentations and teaching styles
  • focus only on key science terms
  • build off of student's prior knowledge and background information
  • assign group projects to help ELLs understand

Some other strategies to consider to prevent ELLs from becoming overwhelmed include:

  • do not force ELLs speak in front of the class
  • stick to a routine/schedule to keep them on task
  • teach laboratory safety
  • hands-on activities!
  • allow adequate wait time and make sure they are getting a chance to contribute in their group
  • when deciding the seating arrangement, have ELLs sit closer to the front or by their peers

It's important to remember that ELLs should be treated the same as every other student. Just because their English may not be strong, does not mean that they are stupid. In fact, many of these students know and understand these processes and experiments but they have difficulty communicating their thoughts in English. It's important to see what they know to cater the lesson to them, hopefully incorporating some English skills.

Sometimes it is also helpful for them to work with peers that speak their L1- if they are uncomfortable communicating their thoughts in English, they can use their L1 to speak. Although you don't know what they are saying, you could have the other student translate, if possible. It's also important to remember that ELLs (all students actually) can communicate through other way than just words. They can write, draw, act, point, etc.

Tying science into other subject matters can also be incredibly helpful. Although this is important for all students, this is especially helpful for ELLs. Sometimes seeing science tied into another subject area helps to enforce the idea as well as make sene of it. A student can better connect to an idea if it is tied into their everyday life.

http://teachingtoday.glencoe.com/howtoarticles/english-language-learners-in-science

3 comments:

  1. Emily, I really like your post and found it very informational. I am curretnly taking an ELL class at Drake. I have had my eyes opened to the struggles of the ESL student. Science would be very hard for these students. You make several good points. I really like the safety factor. As in science class,there are many ways a student could be hurt. I also like the fact that you are having students work together in a group. That will really help the ESL learn about science while watching what their group members do. Also I think the teacher should do a lot of modeling for the ESL student. By modeling, the ESL student will understand what is expected of them. I do not like the idea that ESL students are tested just like native English speakers are on tests, espcially NCLB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, you gave some great examples of ways to teach ELL students and really make sure they understand science. I never really thought about this topic before, but after reading your blog, I realize how much it will actually effect me and my teaching. I will have to make sure that all students are learning the information presented, and one way to do that is to practice all the ideas you have listed. I do think that building off of studnets priow knowledge and understanding is key to helping them learn the new information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily-
    I look forward to following your topic, since I am not an ELL minor and currently have five ELL students in my placement. When we taught our science lesson we had a lot of pictures and diagrams to go with directions, as well as purposefully chose partners for students to achieve best academic outcome and understanding for all. It was really neat to see some of the strategies you suggested in a real science classroom environment.

    ReplyDelete