Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Like Leonardo...

In my last post, I addressed the role of questioning and some other nuances of inquiry-based science education as a part of my focus question on most effective methods for teaching science.  Going along with this theme, and also examining science in a more historical context- which I touched on in my first post- I decided to check out an exhibit on one of my favorite historical figures. 
The Science Center of Iowa is currently housing a very interesting exhibit on- in my opinion- one of the most prominent historical thinkers, Leonardo da Vinci.  I could have spent hours at the exhibit examining all of the models of da Vinci’s ideas- from optical designs to an underwater suit to my favorite, the “Vitruvian man” and his drawings of the workings of the human body.  Fascinating…and truly remarkable for his time!  For those of you in Des Moines, I recommend checking out the exhibit just to look at the models, but there is also a pretty cool Mona Lisa display- if that’s more of your thing.  Several people have blogged about field trips and authentic learning experiences for students, and I think that this is an exemplary opportunity.  I couldn’t help but think about all of the learning and classroom opportunities.
For my high school graduation, my great-uncle, a natural history professor at a university in New York, gave me this book.  As a teenager, I was at first captured by da Vinci’s art, but then I became intrigued by his insightful observations (backed by overwhelming evidence)on science and the natural world.  From such a young age and given the time he lived, what gave him the curiosity and motivation to question the world around him?  While I “disagree” on a few things the author states (especially regarding the strictly linear aspects of science and history), and also recognize that da Vinci was considered a genius and anachronism of his time and may have had more intellectual capacity than most, his brain still functioned the same as others’ and he was exposed to many of the same environmental factors.  In his instance, his “teachers” probably motivated him to learn and question in a different manner than I hope to do as a teacher.  His mostly unknown, and possibly limited education may have granted him more free-thinking time, but he definitely fought the accepted beliefs of his time. 
As I teach science to my students, I want them to be able to see and question all of the different viewpoints and beliefs of something- depending of course on their developmental level.  I think that’s what da Vinci embodies so wonderfully to me…how as teachers we want to encourage students to question, to challenge, and be curious and motivated about what they are learning.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to check out the da Vinci exhibit, and your blog makes me more curious! I don't know much about his research or ideas, but your blog sparked my interest. I like that you included that you disagree with a few things stated by the author, it is important we teacher our students to be critical thinkers. They need to learn not to take everything they hear as completely true, and to develop their own opinions. I also like that you point out exposing your students to different viewpoints, this is frequently left out in all subject areas, but especially science and history. I am glad you can draw inspiration for teaching from da Vinci!

    ReplyDelete