Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jessica's Intro

Hi everyone!
My name is Jessica and I am a 5th year at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. I will be graduating in the spring of 2011 with a degree in Elementary Education, and I will be licensed to teach grades Pk-6th. I currently live in Oshkosh, WI; however I was born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. I am very much a city girl :) I love the fast paced life of living in the city and always having something to do.I love working with kids, especially little ones. I admire how much they truly look up to you and want to be just like you. I was involved in the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization for 2 years at Lincoln Elementary School, the after school tutoring program at Lincoln, I coached for 2 years with the Oshkosh Youth Softball Organization, and I've volunteered and observed in various classrooms throughout various classrooms in the Milwaukee/Oshkosh area. In my free time I love lounging around, going shopping, taking my daily Starbucks trips, going on walks, and meeting new people. I am a very laid back person and I consider myself to be a social butterfly because I love meeting and talking to new people. One day I hope to teach out of state or join the Peace Corps for a year or two and gain experience around the world, so I can bring those findings to my own classroom someday.

I think our team name was named after William Kakwamba because he is a very good motivational speaker. At this point in our life as we transition into student teaching and graduating, we need those encouraging words. One thing that stuck out to me what he said was, "Trust yourself and believe, what ever happened, don't give up." When I heard him say that I immediately thought of applying for teaching jobs after graduation. Statistically, a good portion of the people in the class will not find a teaching job right away, but we should not give up. We truly need to believe in our self and we can do it. We cant let one bad interview bring us down, we have to learn from it and better it for the next interview that we come across.


No comments:

Post a Comment