Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Rabihah's Intro

Hello everyone! My name is Rabihah, and I am currently a junior at Drake University. I am majoring in Elementary Education and receiving endorsements in Special Education and Reading. I plan to work with students with disabilities either as a special educator or speech language pathologist sometime in the near future. I am from the city of Chicago, but am really enjoying my time outside of the big city. The simplicity of life in Iowa has really grown on me, especially the lack of traffic delays! Also, I enjoy drawing, making arts and crafts, and reading.

I think that our team was named after William Kamkwamba because his story illustrates the nature of science. Armed with curiosity, ingenuity, and a driven mindset, Kamkwamba was able to invent a machine that changed the environment of his community. Despite his lack of materials and formal education, Kamkwamba experimented with the resources available to him using diagrams and pictures to help him make sense of the physics of windmill energy. With this knowledge, he created a functional windmill using simplistic materials. Kamkwamba’s experience mirrors a process of science in that through experimentation and inventive thinking, creations can be developed that can be resourceful to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment