Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Authentic Learning and Science Connects

In the next installation of authentic learning, I finally connect it all to science in the elementary through secondary classroom. Following are lessons and sites that allow your students to participate in current research, in global communities, and simulations that encourage higher-level, hands-on, real world experiences:

Project SMART has developed a program called "Kids at Work." In this program kids go to actual worksites where workers that use science and math skills. Teachers and the participants of the program write the lesson plans that are appropriate for the developmental level. there are numerous benefits to the program, I liked the "connection of the community"aspect. All about the program here.

Doing collective research:

Planting Science --on growing

NASA

Making Models with inline tools:

The Bridge Project

xjtechnologies

Interesting, one just for girls...

Brain Cake

Many in one place:

Scholastic Online Interactives

Science Net Links

I want to make the note that these sites do not contain short games or online graphic organizers. These are all sites where the authentic learning applies. I looked up dozens of "online interactives" and it took a few hours to check all of them out. I will elaborate more in my next blog about what I have learned about the dangers and pitfalls of using technology without a purpose. It's old news, but good to review.


2 comments:

  1. Susan-

    I think this a great topic to research. You give a lot of great way to get your students engaged while still learning. The websites you listed are amazing, because they have a little bit of everything, so you are bound to meet each child's interest somewhere. It is great to give students options to choose from, so they don't feel like the teacher is always telling them what they have to do, and these websites allow students to make their own choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recommendations for collaborative learning communities; NASA and Planting Science. Planting Science website is very impressive! I love the fact that students get to interact with their peers in their own classroom, but also get to see what peers from other schools are learning. Another positive outcome of having students involved in an online learning community like Planting Science or NASA is that they get to learn useful technology skills along the way.
    I wish I had the SMART program during my younger school years. It is such a drastic change from high school to college, especially for students who don't have work experience during those years. High school students are encouraged to know what they want to major in, which is a very difficult choice! Over the past 2 years I just decided what I want to do as a career and I've been out of high school for almost 9 years. The more real life experiences we can give our students the more they can see how the content their are learning applies outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete