Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Final: Prezi on Authentic Learning Research

By the time I was writing my last post on this blog, I have to admit, I was pretty sick of Authentic Learning. My final project however, helped me sum up how I feel about it. I also discovered that there is so much more out there about it to research. One thing I came across after-the-fact was that the British and Aussies call it "enterprising education." This term is highly contested in progressive education circles in the U.S. The term "enterprising" is too focussed on individual achievement and responsibility. The method gets confused with the "job training" courses that we offer low-income high schoolers that some would argue are a sign of oppression and keeping the little people in their place. (i.e. offering job training programs to inner-city kids to be hair technicians or data processors.) On the contrary, my understanding of authentic learning bases much of what happens in Vygotsky's Social Learning Theory, pointedly focusing on the advantages of group work and process. I wanted to be sure to clarify that my knowledge, conclusions, and support for authentic experiences in the classroom are different from these interpretations.

Here is the final product.



4 comments:

  1. This was an awesome presentation! I likes how you pulled your whole project together! Authentic learning is something that all teachers need to be knowledgeable of and take into consideration when putting together their lessons! Thanks for the great information and presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this was an awesome presentation...complete with humor :-) I particularly enjoyed how you spun your topic of authentic learning into an authentic learning experience. Very creative. I also enjoyed reading your included research (a lot of content) and Dewey's quote as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Presentation! Your presentation really keeps your audience engaged! I think putting the information about learning how to use Prezi in your own presentation was a good way to incorporate a better understanding of an authentic learner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used Prezi but it looks as though it could be a useful resource. Authentic learning was a great topic to focus on... I think a lot of people could benefit from that topic. it was also great that you were aware of your own authentic learning (making the presentation)... a teacher should always be willing to learn!

    ReplyDelete