Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cell Phones as Useful Technology in the Classroom

In my last blog I wrote about a few different ways teachers can incorporate technology into their classrooms to help improve their lessons and motivate student learning. These were all inexpensive or free ways of incorporating technology into the classroom as long as the teachers had access to a computer and projection system. As I continued to research I came across some information that suggested using cell phones as a technology in the classroom to help improve lessons and get students involved in hands-on learning.
An online article titled Cell Phones Bring Spectroscopy to the Classroom (http://www.rdmag.com/News/2010/10/Manufacturing-Analytical-Instrumentation-Cell-Phones-Bring-Spectroscopy-To-The-Classroom/), written by Liz Ahlberg, Physical Sciences Editor, tells about a University of Illinois chemistry professor, Alexander Scheeline, who developed a high school spectrometer from cell phones for use in a high school chemistry class. A spectrometer is an optical devise for measuring wavelengths, deviation of refracted rays, and angles between faces of a prism ( http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spectrometer ). According to Scheeline, "If we want to measure the amount of protein in meat, water in grain, or iron in blood, it's done by spectrometry". While instruments like this are very useful in a high school chemistry class, we are still faced with the problem of low budgets and no money. The article further talks about that even if such a device were available to students in a classroom that the students would fail to learn the chemistry principles that actually take place within the spectrometer because it is a closed device that simply out puts an answer for students to record. Students then are not required to critically think about the process that is taking place, and this happens with a lot technology used in the classroom.
Scheeline suggests that, "science is basically about using your senses to see things-it's just that we've got so much technology that now it's all hidden". Students often get the impression that science isn't something they can do and understand, but that it's something that happens outside of their senses and all they see is the answer. With this problem in mind Scheeline decided to develop a basic spectrometer (from a cell phone, a light-emitting diode, and diffraction gratings and cuvettes for a total cost of less than $3) that was inexpensive but also allowed students to see the science and the process that was happening. By creating science instruments in which students are able to see the inside workings allows for students to become critical thinkers and problem solvers. Scheeline has also developed a free software to help teachers create and use this instrument in their classrooms, and hopes that soon smart phones will be equipped with applications for the spectrometer so that the building of the spectrometer can be eliminated and bring cost down even further.
I know a lot of teachers struggle with the fact that cell phones are becoming quite a distraction in classroom and often prevent learning from taking place. I thought this article was an excellent way of including student technology in the classroom which allows more concrete and real learning to take place but also allows a deeper connection between the students and their learning. Wouldn't it be nice to tell your students that yes, today you may have your cell phones out and use them in class!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. Depends on the age range I suppose, but I know cellular devices are quite popular with students these days (as is anything electronic). I think it will be a long time before we see something like this in a classroom for various reasons, price and affordability being one of them.

    Thanks for the share and unique idea of what a teacher is doing with electronics these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,

    The example of the innovation that the UI prof came up with is noteworthy. But when it comes to the use of cell phones in the classroom I'm old school on this one. I understand the new cell phones have all kinds of apps that can be useful for learning. And I acknowledge that they are here to stay, we'll never live without them. But I would have a zero-tolerance for cell phones in my middle school/high school classroom. Even if the student could convince me there was a legitimate use for the phone, how would I know they were using it for that purpose unless I was watching over them? Not to mention the distraction they cause when their friends are texting back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I have to say I disagree with Brad's comment. With technology always changing and getting better, there's no reason we can't begin using more of it in our classrooms. Cell phones are owned by most high schoolers, but what if you wanted to do something like this in your classroom and not everyone had a phone? There are some school districts that give each student a computer to use, so would school districts provide basic cell phones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a controversial topic. Cell phones are being used by most middle school and high school students. I have three kids and my oldest is in 5th grade. Over half of the students in her class have cell phones and many of them have texting only plans. I personally like technology in many forms, but I have limited experience with advanced cell phones. I did have a blackberry at work, but I really never used it for anything other than a phone and to play brickbreaker. I do not text but I would be open to the idea of constructively using cell phones in the classroom. I would like to see the research behind the question of: are the students interested in the content or are they just interested in using their cell phone. Technology is here to stay and can enhance the learning experience, the key is to find a way to incorporate technology that is content driven and not gadget driven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this too. Reading these comments reminds me of a literature class where the teacher told us it was okay to let students read SpongeBob chapter books. I was shocked! I am a literary snob and planned on hving only newberry winners in my classroom. Her argument was very compelling; to take the attitude of "whatever works, as long as kids are interested in what they are reading, they will start reading." I truly believe she is right. If you can't get hose kids off their phones, USE THEM! You can think of clever ways of ensuring that they do the assignment. You are, after all, still the more knowledgeable peer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like this idea. It allows students to connect science with everyday life. As far as texting and other distractions, they could be minimized with proactive classroom management and setting rules and procedures ahead of time. Students should understand that along with the privilege of using cell phones comes the responsibility a using them in the way the activity intended them to be used. I think this is a great low cost way to bring technology into the classroom and allow students to connect science to everyday life. variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete